Explore the meaning of emotional intelligence
What is emotional intelligence, and why is it important? On this course, you’ll explore how emotional intelligence influences not only our relationships with others but also with ourselves.
As well as exploring the origins of emotional intelligence, you’ll also learn about the key theorists who have attempted to define, develop and discuss this fascinating construct.
Discover why emotional intelligence is so important
Emotional intelligence is a sought-after skill. You’ll learn about how it’s different from ‘traditional’ intelligence, as well as how it can be used to develop relationships and guide self-development.
To give a balanced view of the subject, you’ll also look at some of the criticisms of emotional intelligence research.
Develop your emotional intelligence skills
By exploring the emotional intelligence definition and some of the key concepts surrounding it, you can develop your own emotional intelligence skills.
You’ll be able to identify some of the central components of this vital soft skill, and how they can be applied in certain situations.
Understand how emotional intelligence improves performance in the workplace
By the end of this course, you’ll also understand how emotional intelligence at work can be used. You’ll examine ways in which it’s measured, as well as how it can be applied in various organisational settings.
These emotional intelligence examples can help give you context for how it is used in the workplace.
What topics will you cover?
- The origins of emotional intelligence
- The trait, ability and mixed models of emotional intelligence
- How to measure emotional intelligence
- Criticisms of emotional intelligence research
- How emotional intelligence can be applied in organisational settings
- Emotional intelligence interventions
What Will You Learn?
- What will you achieve?
- By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe and define emotional intelligence and identify its components
- Identify differences between trait, ability and mixed models of emotional intelligence
- Apply the concept of emotional intelligence to a workplace setting
- Demonstrate what makes emotional intelligence different from ‘traditional’ intelligence
- Explain how emotional intelligence can be used to improve inter-personal relationships and guide self-development
- Compare and contrast interventions designed to develop emotional intelligence in the workplace
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of emotional intelligence research
Week 1: Defining emotional intelligence-Welcome
1.1 Learning about our emotions
1.2 Welcome to the course (video)03:36
Week 1: What is emotional intelligence?
1.3 Decision-making – logic vs emotion
1.4 Defining intelligence
Week 1: Models of emotional intelligence
1.5 Emotional intelligence – nature or nurture?
1.6 Emotional intelligence as abilities: Salovey and Mayer-audio did not download
1.7 Emotional intelligence as traits: Petrides
1.8 Mixed models of emotional intelligence: Goleman
1.9 Mixed models of emotional intelligence: Bar-On
1.10 Models of emotional intelligence: quiz
1.11 Reflection on the TEIQue sample report
Week 1: Strengths and limitations of emotional intelligence
1.12 Promise unfulfilled?
1.13 The dark side of emotional intelligence
1.14 Why does emotional intelligence appeal to you?
Week 1: Summary
1.15 Check your understanding and reflection
1.16 Review of the week
Week 2: Applying emotional intelligence-Welcome
2.1 A new week
2.2 Community of practice revisited
Week 2: Emotional intelligence and you
2.3 Heart vs brain
2.4 Introducing psychological flexibility (video)00:00
2.5 Holding balloons
Week 2: Emotional intelligence and others
2.6 Emotional agility: David and Congleton
2.7 Applying emotional intelligence to working with others
2.8 The toxic triangle
Week 2: Emotional intelligence interventions
2.9 Introducing emotional intelligence interventions
2.10 Applying emotional intelligence in the workplace
2.11 Case study analysis: UK financial services provider
Week 2: Peer review discussion
2.12 Real-world emotional intelligence at work
2.13 Your reflection
Week 2: Summary
2.14 What have you learned about emotional intelligence?
2.15 Reflection on the course (video)00:00
2.16 Your Final Task