This free three-week course provides the tools you need to succeed at interviews and land your dream job or course place.
Being offered an interview is exciting but can be quite daunting. On this course, our experts from The Careers Service here at The University of Sheffield will make sure you are prepared for the big day.
If you’re still at the stage of writing your CV and submitting applications for a job or course, join our course How to Succeed at: Writing Applications.
What Will You Learn?
- By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Improve your chances of success in getting a job or securing a place on a university course
- Apply best practice techniques to enable you to tackle interviews for jobs, apprenticeships, placements, and university courses more effectively
- Identify what recruiters are looking for by researching an organization or institution thoroughly, and identifying what skills and attributes recruiters might be looking for
- Identify what questions you may be asked at the interview, and how to approach answering different types of interview questions
- Develop a better understanding of your strengths, skills, and key selling points to tackle interviews with confidence
- Develop an understanding of different types of interviews, from telephone and video interviews to non-standard interviews, and how to tackle them
Week1: Preparing for Interview
Build a Personal Portfolio & Complete Your Profile
Getting to know you
Getting Ready for the day: Interview Nerves
What concerns you about interviews?
Thorough preparation does work
Making your Research Count (video)02:10
Skills that employers look for (Video)00:00
Try to Anticipate Questions
Dealing with gaps in your application
Analysing a sample job or course description
Summary of Week 1
Week 2: Dealing with Interviews
Introduction to Week 2 (video)01:06
What to Wear at The Interview
First impressions count Quize
Using your voice
Top tips for a successful interview (video)00:00
Getting to grips with interview questions: Typical interview questions
Answering motivational questions
Dealing with competency-based questions
Use STAR: To Answer Competency Question (video)00:00
Some examples of using STAR
Have a go at a strength-based question
Answering questions that require judgment
Expect the unexpected
Interview practice – have a go!
Brilliant Questions to Ask During Interview
Brilliant questions to ask the interviewer
End of Week 2
Review your learning for the week
Some final thoughts (video)01:10
WEEK 3 Handling different types of interview
Introduction to Week 3 (video)01:15
Top telephone interviews (videos)03:34
Top video interviews (video)02:12
What to expect on the day
Group exercises and role play
Painless presentations (video)00:00
Tell us about your experience of non-standard
Tricky tests and exercises
Situational judgment exercise (Incomplete)
Tell us about your experience of tests and exercises
End of Course Summary
Leaving a positive impression
What happens next?
Farewell and good luck
Feedback time :)00:00